The hike for Sun Feb 6th starts at St Elizabeth School at the bottom of Horse Hill at 3:45 sharp. A convoy leaves Dr Thompson's office yard at Hothesal Turning roundabout on the ABC H'way @ 3:15 sharp. Don't be late. Bring a friend(s) & flashlight.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Astra's Weekly Hike report #2 !!

Astra’s hike report


Clinging to the old adage: it gets better the second time around; I arrived at our start point Bath St. John and surveyed the scene. After conquering Annette Hill last week I felt so buoyant I was ready for ANY challenge. We set off as usual at a brisk pace close to the sea shore and saw many beautiful underwater springs. It was during my admiration for the picturesque scenes that I sank ankle deep in wet mushy mud! I was unimpressed and so were my sneakers and socks however I was not the only casualty even IronDoc Charles lost a shoe to the mud temporarily. We kept on trekking thru the mud, thigh high grass and climbing over and under broken branches until we came to a clearing. I looked around took a deep breath saw what I knew would be inevitable: A HILL!


We began to climb the VERY VERY precipitous incline or should I say the group climbed and I struggled to make it to the top. Once at the top a reprieve came in the form of a water break! Bliss!


We charted a course for Newcastle Pumping Station. I should be honest here and say that I was given an escape route. The hikes are formulated so that everyone gets a challenge but not too much that they can’t complete. Apparently, these ‘escape routes’ are strategically placed to give just enough rest while the more fit press on. The other hikers had soooo much more work to do. But one day, I’ll get there.


Once at Newcastle Pumping Station we hiked through a gully and I have to say beside my tight chest, burning calves, and sweat drenched shirt it was so much Fun! For a girl who did not have much tree climbing days I was beyond excited to have to climb over all of the tree branches and other broken foliage which blocked our path. On exit of the gully we began to chart a course back to our start point. We jogged downhill and momentarily I was briefly at the top of the pack however that was short-lived. I’m constantly awed by the stamina of the more experienced hikers. While I was barely making it down the hill they had time to stop, do pushups and pose for pictures LOL. Here’s to hoping I can achieve that level of fitness with continued work.


Darkness descended and at minutes to 7 we returned to Bath. At hike # 2’s completion I’m feeling like Thomas: the little engine that could ☺.


I wonder what hikemaster IronDoc Charles is going to bring next. Whatever it is, I’ll be there and ready.





No comments: